Typical symptoms of under-performance are:
· Growth targets are not being met
· Revenue is declining
· Market share is shrinking
· Opportunities are being missed
· A merger or acquisition is problematic
· Deadlines are being missed
· Poor teamwork
· Management gets surprises
· Employees rarely exceed expectations
· Same issues keep reoccurring
· Best people are leaving
· A corporate initiative is stuck
· Feeling that there are opportunities to improve performance -- to move from good to great”
A cause may be that employees are not engaged – not performing near or at their full potential. Gallup surveys reveal that only 30 percent of employees are engaged.
A cause may be ineffective direct supervisors. A Gallup poll of more 1 million employed U.S. workers concluded that the No. 1 reason people quit their jobs is a bad boss or immediate supervisor.
Assessing organizational performance requires pinpointing the problems and their causes. This requires using a survey that poses the right questions.